Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Evolution of a Thru Hike

Why thru hike the Pacific Crest Trail?  How did it come about?
  • 2008 I start backpacking with a coworker.  We hike all over, even New Zealand and he dreams about one day thru hiking the PCT.
  • 2009 I move to Oregon and hike the 3 Sisters wilderness area along the PCT and meet a couple of thru hikers who are hustling to reach Canada before the snow flies.  Now its my dream.
  • 2010 I hike Mt Jefferson wilderness area along the PCT and I become slightly obsessed.  I go listen to a talk about the PCT by a thru hiker at REI.  I buy the Wilderness Press Guidebooks.  I read. A lot. I plot and I scheme.  How can I convince work to give me 5-6 months personal leave?
  • 2011 I know the hike wouldn't happen this year but I feel in my gut that 2012 will be my year.  Somehow I'll find a way to make it happen.  I start researching and planning for "just in case"  I find websites with links to more websites.  I learn about kickoff, and resupply and gear.  I find the PCT-l email list where I post questions and get answers.  My airline Comair announces layoffs and offer early retirement packages.  I retire.  The hike is ON! 
  • 2012 I get my permits.  I buy a food dehydrator.  I finalize my itinerary and resupply.  I buy the last of my gear. 
  • Now all thats left is to make up my meals, package my resupply boxes, and continue to train!  I've been having knee and hip issues.  Ugh.  Bad timing.  Jim, at Arnaux Physical Therapy is working his magic.  I fly to San Diego April 17.  Launch date April 18. 
Why hike the PCT?  Because it's there. Because it passes through some of the most beautiful country in the US.  And so much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment