Friday, March 9, 2012

Start Date

I just found out that my friends Chris (Splits) and Becky (Two Step) Haynam are starting their hike the day before me!  I may catch up to them prior to kickoff.  Initially I was going to start my hike at kickoff.  Kick off is a weekend gathering at Lake Morena Campground, 20 miles north of the border.  It's the largest gathering of ultra light vendors in the country.  But most importantly, its an orientation and sharing of information about the Pacific Crest Trail for hikers.  This year it's April 27-29. However I'm now starting my hike a week early on April 18.  My plan is to hike 110 miles to Warner Springs and then get a ride to Kick Off from there.  I decided to leave a week early because it is shaping up to be a low snow year in the Sierras.  That means an earlier start through the Sierras is possible.  The lack of snow has been hard on ski lovers but its good news for me.  Route finding will be easier.  Stream crossings will be shallower and less swift.  The downside is that the desert will be dryer and I'll need to carry a lot of water. 6-8L in sections.  That's heavy! I'm looking forward to doing some hiking with Chris and Becky.

No comments:

Post a Comment