Thursday, April 26, 2012

Trail Life

Since I won't be hiking again til Sunday I thought I'd write a bit about what its like on the trail.

First a few principles: Take care of your feet (foot powder, taping hotspots, changing socks), Don't walk and look at your gps/map at the same time, Know where the water is, Carry enough water & drink it, Plan ahead but be in the moment, Look out for other hikers, When hitching smile at people going the opposite direction as they might pick you up on their return, & eat.. a lot.

It is entertaining to listen to a conversation between thru hikers. We talk about our blisters and rashes, sore muscles, have they hiked the trail before & if so how much, how many miles did they do that day, where did they camp or going to camp, where are they from, how'd they get here & what's for dinner. Everyone compares gear. 

All types of people hike the trail. College grads, hippie types, retired couples, professionals, and the average Joe or Jane. A lot of people quit their jobs with nothing to go back to.  I met a hiker who is on his 7th attempt. 8 years ago he was told he'd be in a weelchair in two years. Instead he threw on a backpack. Every year he gets farther & has done over 700 miles of the PCT. He's got metal in his back & lots of pain, yet pushes on.  Inspirational. These people become your 'family' and the trail is your 'home'. Your job is to hike it.  Right now, at this 'crossroads' in my life, there is nowhere else I want to be. There is nothing else I want to do. This is it. 

Blacksnake left this morning. He is not going to kickoff. I was tempted to keep hiking with him.  But there are some good workshops sceduled this weekend and I mat learn some things that will make a difference later on. So I will go and learn as much as I can, meet other hikers, and have a good time. Plus they're going to feed us.  Yay!

Speaking of food, my favorite trail food right now is tuna and cheese it crackers.


Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.4

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lisa,

    I'm enjoying watching your progress and following your adventure. I can tell you are having a good time! Please keep me (us, I see you have a following) informed of as you proceed in your adventure.

    Happy Trails :-)

    Dave

    ReplyDelete