Friday, June 22, 2012

June 17, mile 800 - 821

Breaking camp in the morning is always a slow process for me.  As everyone packed up & got ready to go, I was surprisingly not the last one.  In fact as everyone strung out like a pack train down the trail I ended up line leader for most of the morning.  We are still in Kings Canyon.  With two passes to climb and a lot of miles to cover I pushed hard.  At the top of Pinchot pass I had lunch with Peanut, one of the Yukon hikers, and a couple others.  On the way down I listened to music.  The vocal version of California Dreamin came on and I danced down the trail to its rhythm.  I flailed my poles around and executed a couple turns extending my poles out like wings for balance.  It is not easy turning with a pack & tennis shoes on.  I didn't fall.  However, I've been falling a lot - 3 times in two days.  Put a hole in my pants and bruised my knee.  Every time I stumble &/or fall, I hear That Guys voice in my head saying 'this is a no fly zone Helicopter.' After Pinchot pass it was up and over Mather pass.  I saw a lot of new faces at the top of Mather.  There were 2 Chris's, and 4 others whose names I can't remember.  I never saw any of the hikers I started the day with after Pinchot pass.  I got way ahead.  Now I'm camping in a little canyon above the Palisades river by myself.  Chris & Chris went a few miles further but I was too tired to continue.  Plus it was already 630.  I had a big smile on my face all day.  The only thing that would make it better would be a signal so I could post this blog and send a couple texts.

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.6

No comments:

Post a Comment