Friday, June 22, 2012

June 19, Selden Pass, 845 - 872

Selden pass is the 'Easiest of passes', so Yogi's guide says.  And it was.  But it was 20 miles to the top with more than one false summit.  It psyched me out.  I've been doing big miles the last few days, especially for the Sierras.  However the trail dictated it.  It's been either 1) camp at the bottom and have very low mileage, or 2) hike up and over and have high mileage.  I opted for high mileage.  And to my surprise and happiness I could do it.  I'm tired and ready for camp at the end of the day but I'm still strong. These passes have been over 12000 feet.  Selden pass is 11000 feet. 
I crossed the infamous Evolution and Bear creeks today.  In higher snow years these crossings can be hazardous.  But this year with its low snow levels, made the crossings easy.  The water came up to my knees and was cold.  Hiking alone and overcoming obstacles like stream crossings, downed trees, route finding, and decision making has really made me feel good.  It's been teaching me self reliance, grown my confidence and made me cheer for myself in triumph.  I'm doing it.  The trail followed the river and wound through the canyon. It was sometimes high on a rocky ridge, and other times through forest and lots of lakes & meadows.  I never get tired of the alpine lakes.  Each one brings a smile of delight to my face.  Awesome!
Houdini hiked up and we had lunch together.  I can't keep up with his long legs though so I didn't see him again.  So, another great day in the Sierras.

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.6

No comments:

Post a Comment