Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Kennedy Meadows mile 702.8

I'm so excited to finally be here in Kennedy Meadows.  Its Sierra Nevada time.  I arrived Wed June 5 at 4 pm.  I got a hot meal and Ben & Jerry's Peach Cobbler ice cream.  Yes, I ate it all.  I also got my resupply box, my bear cannister, my bounce box, and REI box.  My new trekking poles came so no more fixing and refixxing poles every day.  They even match my backpack.  They are purple Black Diamond women's trail shock poles.  I'm very happy to have them.

The population here is 200.  There is a general store and Tom Figeuroas "internet cafe." There is no cell service, just a payphone.  There are a lot of excited hikers too.  Me included.

I'm glad the desert with its heat and lack of water is over.  I know there will be other challenges ahead but I will just roll with it.  I'm actually feeling strong today.  That's a good thing cause the bear cannister adds 2lbs to my pack and I'll be climbing some high passes. 

Easy Miles has a shin splint problem in his right leg and needs to rest.  So I may need to join up with another group.  It's generally not a good idea to go solo in the Sierras.  However since its a low snow year it may not matter.  In any case, "Yaaaaay!!!!"


Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.4

1 comment:

  1. Blackhawk: There is no stress fracture. I will be hiking out probably on Tuesday. Hope to catch up with you. Sent you a couple of texts but don't expect you will be able to receive them for several days. Realized that I don't have your email address. Need to send you some info. Please send me your email address. Send it to: paul@plbreed.net.
    Can anyone provide me with Blackhawk's email address?

    Easy Miles

    ReplyDelete