Saturday, August 11, 2012

Aug 10, Green Springs Inn - Hyatt Lake mile 1750

I struggled with the go or not decision this morning.  Didn't feel good, didn't feel bad.  On the fence.  So I had breakfast and I felt like a new person.  But it was still one of the hardest mental battles I've fought on the trail.  The first step is the hardest even when you're motivated.  But once you get going, wow.  It felt great to be hiking again and in the Oregon Cascades too.  The trail passed through the Siskiyou Ntl Monument.  It was designated to protect its diverse ecosystem.  It's beautiful.  I heard a high pitched sound.  Was it an animal, bird, or a hiker?  I know a few hikers who like to whoop and holler.  Never did figure out what it was.  Another fun encounter happened while I was resting enjoying the view of Hyatt Lake Reservoir.  A small furry head popped up out of the ground.  It watched me intently.  I said hello but it wasn't impressed and dropped back in his hole. 
When I got to Hyatt Lake I was ravenous for a hamburger.  So I stopped for a late lunch.  I got picked up right away for the ride to Hyatt Lake.  It's only a mile off trail.  The lady who picked me up, Liz, has been trekking in Nepal, India, Afghanistan, and a lot of other places.  She was cool and I would have loved to talk to her further.  The hamburger was delicious and I handled it ok.  I was going to hike another 4 miles and camp but decided to stay here and not push too hard the first day.  I feel good about tomorrow. Marionberry cobbler anyone?

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.6

No comments:

Post a Comment