Sunday, August 19, 2012

Aug 18, 1972 - 1989

Oregon has turned out to be an adventure within an adventure.  First there were the two fires.  And there's another fire further north.  Then today there was thunder and lightning west of the trail but no rain.  It's kinda exciting.  I was thankful for the cloudcover though as it kept the temperature cool.  In the Sisters Wilderness is a place called the Obsidian area.  It's a restricted area to protect it from overuse.  You have to have a permit to camp there.  It's my favorite place.  The obsidian sparkles when the light hits it.  There's a spring that flows out of the mountain, acroass the meadow, and then plunges off a cliff as Obsidian falls.  Beautiful.  I hiked through there this morning and stopped to fill up all of my water bottles from the spring.  Delicious water.  I hustled this morning in order to meet my cousin Darlene at Mckenzie pass.  The pass is on hwy 242 a seasonal rd and the Dee Wright  Observatory is there.  The observatory is made out of lava rock.  You can see all of the mountain peaks from it on a clear day.  Lava rock surrounds the pass and its very hard to walk on.  Even on the trail you have to be careful not to twist an ankle on the loose rock.  I met a friendly section hiker on the trail, retired, who is passionate about the outdoors.  He quizzes.me at length about my hike and I didn't mind.  Even though I was hurrying to meet my cousin, it was inspiring to talk to him because he was so enthusiastic. It felt great to get to the observatory because its a real mile marker.  I got there 10 minutes after Darlene.  She had icecream!  Turns out my hiking friends Last minute & co. are here.  So good to see them.  We met for dinner after all of my errands are done.  They are leaving before me tomorrow but I should be able to catch up and hike with them.  Right now its just nice to spend time with my cousin when I'm not sick & we can enjoy our time together.  I'm so blessed to have support from my family, friends, & community.

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.6

No comments:

Post a Comment