Sunday, August 26, 2012

Aug 26, 2107 - 2132

I got a late start this morning but extra sleep and breakfast are good things.  The PCT coincides with the Timberline loop trail for awhile.  So I saw a lot of day and weekend hikers.  It's a beautiful section.  It's mostly forest but there are also steep canyons and valleys.  There were also a couple of tricky river crossings but I didn't get wet.  I took a lot of pictures of Mt Hood.  I'd like to do the Timberline trail around the mountain one day.  The guidebook recommended a two mile alternate trail that hooked up to the PCT.  It went by Ramona Falls and it was the perfect lunch spot.  The trail had two steep climbs and descents that wore me out.  First day hiking after a zero day I have to remind my legs what their job is.  It's chilly tonight, windy and overcast.  It might rain but I'm snug in my tent.  There is another thru hiker camped here named Sesame.  I met him a long time ago.  When I was in town I washed both my sleeping bag and backpack.  What luxury!  They don't stink.  Speaking of town, it was a bit overwhelming.  REI and the mall were crowded and noisy.  It was a shock to my system after the quiet of the woods.  Re entry into the real world after my hike is going to be harder than I thought.  I think I've grown a lot and learned a lot these last few months.  In the coming weeks I'm going to be thinking about how I can apply what I've learned on the trail to regular life and what changes I should make.  It's too easy to slip back into old habits and I want to keep moving in a positive direction.  I feel good though.  And resolute.  I'm coming Canada!  I'm solo at the moment but hope to find hiker(s) in Cascade Locks to hike Washington with.

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.6

No comments:

Post a Comment