Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Aug 14, 1830 - 1852

This morning after breakfast Early Girl and Water Boy took me to the trailhead.  There were hugs and smiles and then I was off.  I feel great today.  I believe I'm 100% cured of giardia.  It was a steep hike from hwy 92 up to the rim of Crater Lake but so worth it.  I stopped at the Rim Village to buy a sandwich for a picnic later.  I also bought a cool pair of bright yellow sunglasses.  They match my hat.  The lake was bright blue and sparkling in the sun.  The trail went up and down north along the rim so there was great views.  I found a place for lunch in the shade of a tree overlooking the lake.  I was delighted when I opened up my ham sandwhich and discovered a hard boiled egg in it.  Yummy sandwich.  I hiked a good pace but it felt very chill and relaxed today.  About mid afternoon after leaving the rim, I stopped for a break and Quest came up the trail.  So we are hiking together for the next few days.  When we got to hwy 138 we heard there was a fire 39 miles ahead.  So we hitched to Diamond Lake to get info and camp for the night.  Imagine my surprise when there sitting at a picnic table was a friend of my cousin who I knew.  She is on vacation with her family.  So fun.  The word we got about the fire was call the Umpqua Forest Service in the morning to find out if the PCT is closed and how to get around it.  It's become an adventure within an adventure.  And instead of ramen noodles for dinner I had pizza and double fudge brownie ice cream. 

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.6

2 comments:

  1. Texted you too but 2 fires are in Oregon, one no worries, it's SE OR/ID/NV border. The other is near Oakridge, a long way from the PCT. You are okay for now. We have HOT weather coming, T-storms and humid so it can all change. We get back to normal temps by Sunday/Monday. Happy Hiking! Love the pics!

    ReplyDelete