Monday, August 6, 2012

The Trail Provides, Ashland

When I look back on my trail experience so far, the phrase 'The trail provides' mentioned often in various planning resources comes to mind.  So many times I got what I needed when I needed it.  Whether it was trail magic, the right person(s) to hike with, or two fighter jets flying fast overhead minutes after saying it'd be cool to see.  It's certainly the case this time.  First, That Guy caught up to me in Etna and we hiked out with a few others.  So I'm not solo anymore.  Then while hiking we met a section hiker named Chuck.  We passed each other a lot for two days because I was so slow and stopping a lot.  He is from Sacramento.  He offered a ride to Ashland as his wife was picking him up at 2pm Sunday on Hwy 96.  Then, We got to the trailhead in Seiad Valley Saturday with a 6.5 mile roadwalk still to do but Lloyd was there to give us a ride.  Sunday the owner of the RV park gave us a ride to the meeting spot for our ride with Chuck.  Then as luck would have it my cousin and her family were in Ashland waiting for me to hike in as I should have been arriving Sunday on foot.  So it's all just worked out smoothly.  There weren't any walk in clinics open so we had to go to ER.  I do not have Giardia!  This is great news cause Giardia usually keeps you off trail for a week.  I have some sort of stomach flu bug.  There's nothing like 3 L of IV fluid to perk you up though.  Doc says two days off my feet getting food and fluids to build my strength up and give my body a chance to stabilize and recover should do the trick.  I have a prescription.  I'm already feeling better.  So, another little roadblock in my trip.  But these things happen on a long hike, just like real life, and you just have to roll with it.  So I'll rest here and then my cousin will take us back to the trail.  And I'm so happy to see my cousin.  I've missed her.  It'll be fun to catch up.
This isn't the best picture but these flowers are common on the trail.  I really like the contrast of the red and yellow colors.

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.6

No comments:

Post a Comment