Saturday, August 25, 2012

Aug 24, 2093 - 2107

It was cold this morning.  The group couldn't decide last night when we'd hike out - 6 or 7.  So I split it and was ready at 630.  Only no one else was up.  Everyone sound asleep still.  Of course I didn't want to wake them up and it was to cold to wait.  So I took off.  I was really looking forward to Timberline lodge and seeing Portland friends.  I'll be in WA for my Aug 28 birthday so we are celebrating early.  I'm glad I got up early because I was treated to a fantastic early morning view of Mt Hood.  There was a PCT trail register at hwy 26.  So I signed it "still spinning" with a simple drawing of the spinner on my hat and my trail name.  Then it was 4 miles to Barlow pass at hwy 35.  Then only 4 more miles to Timberline!  But oh, the last mile was killer.  It was uphill in deep sand.  It was like climbing an Oregon sand dune.  But I slogged on and what was that noise?  Music? Here?  There was a DJ spinning rock music and talking over a loudspeaker.  I could see lots of cars and colorful flags across the ravine and the lodge in the background.  Mt Hood itself was on my right.  Turns out the Hood to Coast relay race was beginning.  I got there just in time to hear him say "30 seconds" and then "runners, get outta here!" There were a lot of people around.  I picked up my two boxes at the gear store, got lunch in the lodge, plugged in my cell phone, and waited in the lobby for my ride.  Last Minute and Grit got in an hour later.  I never saw Rem and Ruby Locks though.  I was sorry to miss them.  But I will see everyone 'up the trail' I'm sure.  That's how it works.  My friend Doug picked me up and we got all my usual errands done.  Then it was Buffalo Wild Wings for dinner!  Then we watched one of my favorite movies on Blue Ray, 'Apollo 13'.  So nice to spend time with good friends.  Tomorrow will be a trip to REI and planning the last legs of my journey in WA.  So exciting!  Goodnight.

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.6

No comments:

Post a Comment