Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Aug 28, 2155 - 2185

Happy Birthday to me!  The last few hundred miles since I got sick have been a battle between my desire to finish the trail and my desire to quit.  I never thought I would feel like quitting.  I'm so glad I hung in there.  This morning as I crossed over the Columbia River Gorge on the Bridge of the Gods, I teared up.  I made it to Washington!  It feels good, right.  I'm happy to be hiking.  There's a good group on the trail with me.  Yardsale and Dirty Feet were packing up when I left Shrek's this morning.  They will meet me in camp tonight.  I caught up to Colors and Quirk.  They're the married couple I met near Shasta.  Last Minute and Grit are 6 miles ahead.  And Tony from Belgium is camping here also.
The trail today climbed from near sea level at the gorge to 3500 feet.  It's been up and down 1500 feet at a time the rest of the day.  It was a green tunnel today.  The trees obscured any views of the Columbia I might have had.  In some places the ferns and plants were as tall as me.  And there was a lot of water.  I thought today about my video entry for next years kickoff.  I've got some good ideas I think.  I also thought about writing a book.  If I wrote a book, what would make it unique and stand out from all of the other books written about the PCT by hikers?  What would the title be?  "A Backpackers Guide to Falling".  I humour myself.  I forgot to mention Sesame.  He is also camping here and he gave me a couple temporary tattoos.  So I'm rocking a couple of  colorful dragons.  I'm home for the night.  Time to sleep.

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.6

2 comments:

  1. :) Birthday on the trail!! I have faith you can do it all, just don't hurt yourself in the process, rest when needed. Imagine the joy of completing it the first try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Lisa!!! Thinking of you. Glad you are still walking - don't you dare quit!!!! This hike has changed you so much. I can't believe you are in Washington! The final stretch awaits. Missing you tons.

    ReplyDelete