Thursday, July 19, 2012

July 17, 1335 - 1354

After a very restful zero day in Chester and after sleeping 11 hours straight, I was ready to hike today.  I felt great.  I attempted to hitch to the trailhead 8 miles away with no luck.  No one would stop.  So I walked to the Best Western two blocks away looking for other hikers who might have the phone # of the trail angel.  No luck.  Inside the hotel I asked about taxi service.  "Chester doesn't have a taxi.  Where do you need to go?" Asked the receptionist.  When I told her she said "We'll take you." And they did.  How awesome is that?  I've really been touched by the kindness of strangers on this hike.  Sunset was at the trail when I got there and I hiked a little with him before pushing ahead.  A cold front came through and cooled things off so it was great hiking weather.  The trail entered Lassen National Park.  One more park to check off my list.  It's been pine forest for awhile and the ground is littered with giant pine cones. The kind you pay a lot of money for at Christmas as decoration.  There are hot springs and geysers in the park.  I only hiked as far as Drakesbad Guest Ranch.  It's a very hiker friendly place.  The cabins are expensive and booked up long in advance but there is a campground nearby.  At the ranch they gave me loaner shorts & Tshirt and washed my hiker clothes.  They gave me soap and a towel for a shower.  And they fed me a yummy pasta dinner.  Ice cream for dessert.  All for $10.  I had dinner outside on the picnic table with several other hikers.  There were place settings with mats,silverware & plates, and coffee cups.  Fancy for an outdoor dinner.  It was served family style to us after the guests of the ranch had eaten.  The other hikers here are Chris, Sunjay, Sunset, Birdy, La La, and two others.

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.6

No comments:

Post a Comment