Sunday, July 29, 2012

July 27, 1524 - 1554

The trail gained 4000 feet in elevation over 13 miles up to the Trinity divide.  I hiked half of it yesterday and the rest of it today.  Once on top its been fairly flat.  I like being up high.  This section has great panoramic views and Mt Shasta continues to dominate the landscape.  I took a lot of pictures of Shasta.  It's been rocky in places with towering, rust colored cliffs.  But what's interesting is that the rocks change to gray, then back to rust.  It's the weekend so there were a lot of day and weekend hikers out.  It's always fun to meet and talk with these people.  A lady was out with her young daughter and teenage boys.  She teaches school in Shasta and gave me several plums from Chico.  They were the best plums I've ever had.  I could easily become addicted to them if I lived here.  Yummy.  That was this afternoon.  This morning at 9 I hit trail magic.  A 2011 PCT hiker was out with two friends cooking pancakes.  So I had pancakes and orange soda.  It was a great day.  I'm really impressed with Northern California.  And not because of the food.  It's just very beautiful.  So even though I'm anxious to finish California and get to Oregon, I'm really enjoying this part of the trail.

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.6

No comments:

Post a Comment