Friday, September 28, 2012

Gear Review

Lightheart Gear Solo Wedge tent - I loved this tent.  I became emotionally attached to it.  It's easy to set up.  I only got condensation once and it wasn't the tents' fault.  Never camp in a Cascade meadow.  It's spacious for its weight.  It's not the lightest UL tent but the space was worth the weight.  The wedge or canopy version is also worth the extra weight over the standard version.
Granite Gear Vapor ki backpack - overall it performed well.  The seams were ripping out in a couple places by the end of my hike.  Biggest gripe is the size of the side pockets.  It was difficult to get my water bottles in and out while my pack was on.  Also the load lifters had to constantly be readjusted.  I liked the roll top closure.  The capacity was sufficient even in the Sierras when I added the bear can.
Garmin gps 62s - I bought the garmin PCT trail map sd card and at kickoff, Halfmile loaded all of his waypoints into it.  It was a good thing he did as the garmin trail track was sometimes inaccurate.  The gps itself performed well.  I never had trouble receiving a signal from sattelites.
Cook system - I used the MSR pocket rocket stove and cannister fuel.  It always fired up and had good boil times in all temperatures and elevations on the trail.  It was very reliable and I would carry it again.  The titanium pot was lightweight but to big for my needs.  I would get a smaller single person pot.
Sleeping pad - my z-lite did not have the reflective coating on one side that newer ones have.  That would make a difference in r-value.  By itself I was cold & didn't sleep well.  Used with my pro lite inflatable however, I was comfy and warm.  Both lasted entire hike.  Although I threw away the z-lite at the end.  I would try just the z-lite with the coating next time.  And it doubles as a great sit pad.
Marmot down 15 degree bag - great sleeping bag but too warm for most of the hike.  A cooler bag, maybe a 25 degree bag would be more versatile as you can always sleep in your warm layer on colder nights.
Tyvek ground cloth - awesome!  Strong, light, and protects the tent floor well.
Brooks Cascadia trail runner shoes - once I got the right size I had only 1 blister in 1300 miles.  My feet didn't hurt.  They handled the weight of the pack on my back.  Comfortable.  A lot of them on the trail.  When in doubt about which trail to take follow the Cascadia footprints!
Clothes - I'll just say I wish I hadn't waited so long to break down and buy a down puffy jacket.  I love my Montbell jacket.  It's super light and warm.
Headlamp - A bright one for night hiking is a must & worth the weight.
Trekking poles - Leki poles that twisted to lock couldn't handle the daily lengthen & shorten process.  My tent sets up with them and the locking system kept breaking.  I switched to Black Diamond poles with external locking and they worked great.
Post hike & looking ahead, I now question each piece of gear.  Can I go lighter?

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.6

No comments:

Post a Comment