Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Sep 4, 2353 - 2386

A good day begins with a good breakfast.  I had oatmeal and breakfast biscuits this morning.  I had good energy and a strong day.  Of course I was motivated too by the closeness of Snoqualmie Pass.  But I was enjoying the trail, the views, and just being, that the miles flew by.  There was a lot of climbing today too.  I didn't see any other thru hikers, just section hikers.  Water was a little scarce.  I was low on water and couldn't find a spring listed on the map.  The next water source was grungy.  Beggars can't be choosy.  I strained it through my bandanna to get out the muck.  Then I put a little extra bleach in it.  Next I added packets of True Lemon to make it taste better.  It got me the 8 miles to the next spring which was good water.  There was a swamp that had a spring but I got all muddy trying to find it and gave up.  So it was the day of water divining.  The trail was mostly forest but there were a couple of rocky exposed sections.  Each day of good weather is a gift.  It was sunny and low 70s.  I've had no significant weather on my entire 4.5 months of hiking.  I know I'll see rain before I'm done but I'm amazed at how good I've had it.  I'm camping for the night in a cleared area in a small meadow.  There's a campfire ring here but I won't use it.

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.6

1 comment:

  1. Four and a half months? I don't know about you, but the time has really flown by for me. I have enjoyed reading your updates and seeing your beautiful pics. I am a little sad to see that you have almost completed the trail. I suspect though that you have at least a couple more long trails to write about, and we will be looking forward to reading about those when you do.

    ReplyDelete