Sunday, September 9, 2012

Sep 8, 2456 - 2476 Stevens Pass

It's twenty miles to Stevens Pass.  I had a more relaxed hiking day.  I slowed down, took more pictures, and had a longer lunch break.  I ate lunch by a nice lake.  The hills were more gentle today too.  The last climb of the day took me to the top of a ski lift.  There was a good view up there and I imagined it covered with snow.  Stevens Pass is a small ski place.  I was supposed to meet my sister and her family at the pass this afternoon.  They weren't there yet but I was early so I went up to an outdoor grill at the ski place.  I had a sandwhich, turned on my phone and there was a message saying they wouldn't get here til 7 pm.  No problem, I'll hitch to Skykomish, I thought.  Skykomish is 15 miles away on hwy 2 & the closest town with lodging.  Two minutes later I'm getting my pack together when a voice says "hey are you a thru hiker?" I look up and it a guy in a blue t shirt with dark hair and a beard.  "Yes" I say.  "Need a ride to Skykomish or Baring"?  Seriously ?  "YES!". Trail magic.  He hiked the trail two years ago and had just finished a day hike.  So he swung by the trail head looking for hikers.  We picked up Tony from Belgium too.  I'm staying at the Cascadia Inn.  Chili and Pepper are here too.  Our resupply boxes were at a trail angels house, the Dinsmores, but they brought them over to the hotel.  And my sister!  Right at 7 they got here.  Soooo happy to see her.  She has been so supportive and I havent seen her in a long time.  This is the sister who moved to Spokane.  An old friend of mine from a year I spent in France in college lives there with his family.  Small world, my sister and her husband met them not knowing the connection.  They sent me homeade fruit leather in an envelope with writing in French all over it.  I will be entertained deciphering it. 

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.6

4 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa, Looks like you are almost done. Looks like less then 100 miles. Wow! I'm sorry I missed you when you came through Portland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, glad you got the fruit leather. Hope you like it. My wife's mom makes it every year from their peach trees. The envelope was made from a page out of my notebook from classes at Collonges. Just fun memories. I'm glad to see you making the PCT trip. I've always wanted to do that. Hopefully some day soon I will. -Jon D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi you!

    I have been once again a neglectful friend! You are getting close to the finish. However, I am a little worried about you since you haven't blogged since the 8th of Sept? Hope you are ok? Anyhow,, while I was reading some of your earlier blogs (August posts) I started to think about what I was going to write you after I caught up in your blog. Well, what I wanted to say is this: you should, no wait you must write I a book. I do enjoy reading your blog and would love to read a book you wrote! Then, as I read on into your Sept blogs, I read that you are formulating a book in your mind already! So, without a doubt, I do support those thoughts. You should indeed write a book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, somehow I published my comments before I could finish. Anyhow, I am so excited for you. Let me know when you are going to be done. It seems like you only have a 100 or so miles to go! Congratulations! Oh, and a very late happy birthday to you! Be safe and happy trails to you!
    Love ya,

    Michele

    ReplyDelete