Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Sep 17, 2620 - 2646

I'm going to Canada!  I'm gonna make it!  The swelling in my knee was down this morning and everything felt better.  It wasn't till I did the 10 miles to Harts Pass though that I knew for sure I would make it.  I had just sat down on a rock to have a snack when an suv pulled up and a dog with four people piled out.  One guy came over and asked if I was a thru hiker.  He hiked the AT in 09 and was out with his friends taking pictures of the PCT.  Then he asked how my gear was holding up.  I hesitated then said "well my backpack is ripping out at the seams in a couple places but its holding together and my knee is falling apart at the seams too but holding together."   I smiled and we both laughed.  And that's when I knew.  It's been a great day of hiking.  I met a lot of great people who encouraged and congratulated me.  I saw Carpenter and his hiking partner as well as Willway/Archie on their way back to Harts pass from the monument.  Not everyone continues on into Canada.  The section from Rainy Pass to Harts Pass is definately my favorite part of WA.  It is awesome north of Harts pass too.  I'm tired, happy, excited about tomorrow, and a bit emotional.  23 miles to Manning Park.  There are a lot of hunters out.  I'm camped next to four of them in a big white canvas tent.  I was happy to find water here.  My map said that water was seasonal only and therefore unreliable for a 27 mile stretch.  So I had anticipated a cold dinner.  But, water was trickling down and the hunters had made a pool with rocks.  So its lentil spinach curry with ramen noodles tonight.

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.6

No comments:

Post a Comment