Thursday, September 20, 2012

Long Bus Ride Home

It took 12.5 hours to get home to Oregon.  A typical hiking day.  Only I was sitting on a bus instead of walking.  I took Greyhound to Vancouver B.C. and then the Bolt bus to Portland with a short stop in Seattle.  It gave me a chance to reflect on my journey and think about next steps.  I intended to go straight to Seiad Valley to finish those miles of trail I missed from being sick.  So I worked out the logistics of getting to the trailhead.  I knew a fire had broken out last month north of Seiad Valley and that there was a road walk detour.  When I went on the PCTA website to get the details I discovered that the fire closure had been expanded last week.  There is now no way to walk around the closure.  The instructions were for hikers to take the bus to Ashland and pick up the trail there.  So my hike is officially complete.  I confess my initial reaction was relief.  Cause I'm tired!  But my heart is still on the trail.  I have friends still hiking.  I miss it.  And I wonder why did I push so hard to finish?  I could still be hiking!  Aah but I'm happy to be done and its time to move on to other things.  I have learned and grown so much on the trail.  It was an amazing experience.  It's great to be home and sleep in my own bed!  Also I will do a gear review soon and post it. 

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.6

1 comment:

  1. congratulations on your accomplishment, I am in awe of all of you that are brave enough to take the first step on the trail and determined enough to take the last one. I'm sad for me that your hike is over.

    ReplyDelete