Saturday, September 1, 2012

Sep 1, 2282 - 2303

It was an epic day!  I am beyond elated.  I made it to White Pass in record time.  I got here at 230 today. This morning I got up early and was hiking with the sunrise.  It was cold and windy and the frost crunched under my feet.  I crossed several big snowfields as the trail climbed and went around Packwood Glacier.  Then the trail switchbacked up a very steep rocky face.  At the top it split into the stock PCT and the hiker PCT.  The hiker PCT went across the "knifes edge".  So named because its on the rocky spine of the mountain.  It drops off on both sides and the descent along it is very steep.  There is a lot of snow.  It was insane, thrilling, sketchy in places, magnificent views, and a little scary.  I loved it.  I also hated doing it solo.  It sure felt great though when I got down onto easier terrain.  Huge pat on my back for that one.  I gave a woop of satisfaction.  The trail left the high alpine setting on a long descent back into forest and meadow.  One more long 1500 foot climb and even longer descent and I arrived at hwy 12.  White Pass is only a half mile from the trail but there was a dayhiker leaving who gave me a ride.  It's hard to pick pictures to post.  I got a lot of good ones today.

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.6

No comments:

Post a Comment