Saturday, September 8, 2012

Sep 6, 2402 - 2426

Climb, climb, up, up, and up some more.  It was a 3000 foot climb this morning with a lot of smaller ups and downs.  It's incredibly beautiful in the North Cascades.  It reminds me a lot of the alps.  I couldn't stop taking pictures.  On the climb up I stopped for a snack and a very aggressive bird came looking for crumbs.  I met three dayhikers and chatted with them while we took turns getting a picture at an overlook.  The trail got really rocky.  I crossed a lot of talus slopes.  It felt like miles and miles of rock.  It hurts my feet since I wear trail runners.  It's also tiring as you have to constantly watch where you put your feet.  There was a waterfall on the long descent to Lemah meadow.  Once down in the valley I had to ford Lemah creek.  The water was cold but my feet liked it.  Once across I checked my gps and saw I was 3/4 mile off trail.  "What?" "How?" It ended up being a good thing though as there was a side trail that hooked back up to the PCT.  The PCT bridge over the creek was washed out and would have been a more difficult crossing.  So yay.  I wanted to go further today but the trail starts another big climb and there wouldn't have been anywhere to camp.  It was too late and too far to get up and over.

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.6

No comments:

Post a Comment