Saturday, May 5, 2012

162.3 - 178.6. PCT, Devils Slide Trail

Idyllwild!  Shower.  Pizza.  Bed. It's Friday night & I've spent 6 consecutive days on trail.  The most Ive ever done.  What a hard, hard, hard but great day.  The trail today was 90% up, up, up.  Some parts were steep, rocky, & exposed while others were covered with soft pine needles.  But always up.  My calves were burning.  Then one section I came to had a rock wall towering above me on my left and a sheer drop off to my right.  I had to be careful I didn't trip or slip here.  I encountered my first snow.  Large patches covered the trail.  You just have to follow the footprints, posthole through, and the trail would soon reappear.  This is the San Jocinto Wilderness & San Bernardino National Forest.  And the views have been incredible.  Sometimes steep canyons green with trees or the brown vastness of the desert in the distance, or a bright blue lake far below.  I'm still hiking with Photo Finish & its working out well.  On level or downhill trail I lead as I'm faster.  On uphill sections he leads as I'm a snail going up.  So we had hoped to get to Idyllwild by 5 before the PO closes as we both have bounce boxes to pick up.  But we didn't make it. The terrain slowed us down & we did another 20 mile total day.  The Devils Slide Trail into town is 2.5 miles.  So hopefully we can get them Saturday.  A trail angel knows the postman.  Here's a couple pics. 


Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.4

No comments:

Post a Comment