Monday, May 21, 2012

411 - 436

Section D is for Detour.  First there was the endangered species detour, then the old station fire detour, and finally the poodle dog bush detour.  It's been a lot of road walking.  The old station fire was a huge fire that happened in 2009.  A couple of firefighters died.  There was a memorial for them on a closed road outside of a gutted camp.  It was very eerie walking through there.  It was a ten mile uphill walk on hot pavement to avoid the pd bush.  So we stopped for an afternoon siesta at a campground.  I was lying on the ground listening to my ipod shuffle when a really good waltz song came on.  It was 'The Flower That Shatters the Stone.' I tried to resist, but couldn't.  The urge was too great.  I got up and danced.  I tried to remember my waltz choreography but only managed the first phrase.  It felt great.  I love to dance.

We hiked another 6 miles after that for a 24.5 mile day.  It is cool how I can be on a ridge and in one side is the brown desert, and on the other green mountains.  We are camping at the North Fork Ranger station.  Weather forecast is for colder temperatures timed to arrive when I get to the Mojave desert.  Is that great timing or what?!

Well I took a picture of Poodle Dog Bush to post but it is missing.  Oh well.


Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.4

2 comments:

  1. You are so getting the whole idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey lisa keep me posted where you are. Angeles crest forest is close to me. I think you might have just gone by my place, but I will try and hook up with you.

    ReplyDelete