Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Memorial Day, mile 549 - 558

Tehachapi!  I saw lots of windmills today.  There was also a large burn area.  We've 2 adjoining rooms with 7 hikers crammed in.  It's quite the little party.  The two hikers in my room I just met.  One is mouse.  His base pack weight is 6lbs.  He started the trail in May & is flying, doing 30 - 40 mile days.  Both are hiking out early. 

Everyone has been talking  about their Sierra plans.  Do I take an ice axe? Microspikes? Where are you resupplying?  Climbing Mt Whitney?  Changing shoes?  And on and on.  I'm finalizing my own plans and strategy cause the next stop is Kennedy Meadows.  There are a lot of Brooks Cascadia Trail runners being worn this year.  It's the shoes I wear.  I'm happy with them.

I ate at the Great Wall for dinner.  It's an all you can eat Chinese buffet.  Perfect for hungry hikers.  The town of Tehachapi is small and spread out, up in the foothills.  Just 22 miles away is Mojave on the desert floor.  The PCT passes through the middle, between the two.

I'm happy to get some rest.  The tendon was better today but I still think rest and ice is good for it.  I'm also happy that I haven't lost anymore weight.  Ive been maintaining my normal weight.

Imagine coming across a shower in the desert wilderness.  This picture is of Argentina pretending to wash under it.


Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.4

No comments:

Post a Comment