Sunday, May 20, 2012

Mile 377 - 396

It was the day of the toad and boy scouts. It's the endangered yellow toad.  A portion of the PCT is closed for this toad so we had to take a detour that involved road walking the Angeles Crest hwy 2 for 2.7 miles.  Total miles today is 22.  There were also hundreds of boy scouts on the trail.  They spilled out of campgrounds and snaked down the trail.  And more kept coming! What a great day it was though.  First thing this morning we summited Mt Baden Powell, the highest mountain in southern California.  So awesome up there!  As I hiked today I tried to soak it all in & think about how I would describe it.  There's the humming birds who zoom straight up, hover, than zoom down again.  The trees are a blend of skinny, fat, tall and short.  Some of the trees have had their bark stripped from them leaving them bleached white in the sun.  What bark remains is charcoal.  There's the squirrels running about and the bird who's song is like a donkeys bray.  The sky looks bluer than usual due to its contrast with the pines. I love being up high in the mountains.  But it was another day of up, up, and more up.

We caught up with Dancing Feet, a girl from Hawaii.  I hadn't seen her since Julian so it was fun to catch up.  The trail is truly a social experience.  But I expect once we get further north it will be less so.

Were camping tonight at Cooper Canyon trail camp.  And guess what?  It's full of boy scouts.  There is room though and I set up my tent for the first time in two weeks.  I like my tent. It's cozy.

By the way, I really enjoy the comments I get that readers post. It makes me feel connected.  So keep em comin!  I expect to get to Agua Dulce sometime on Tues.


Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.4

3 comments:

  1. You look really great and happy! Sounds like a magical place. This is truly a trip of a lifetime. I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lisa, do you have a list of your washington resupplies in case I can arrange to meet you on your way? thanks richard

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisa! It's been so awesome following you on this trek of yours...wow! Truly living a dream! Can't wait to see what great adventures await you...keep on trekking!

    ReplyDelete