Monday, May 14, 2012

Mile 266 - 285

Back on the trail. It feels good to get going.  I'm hiking with Backup and Fig.  Backup just graduated from college, Fig is 66 and retired.  We got to the trail at 7 am and before we knew it, we'd done 10 miles so we stopped for lunch and a sock change.  There were some great views of the lake and Big Bear.  The trail is easy today and should continue tomorrow to be mostly level.  Typically I try to walk 4 hours in the morning before taking a break.  The rule ten before ten is the goal.  If I start at 6 this is possible.  After lunch I'll hike another 2-3 hours before the next break.  As it gets hotter and I get tired I need more breaks.  I like to get to camp by 6 pm.  However I've been experimenting with stopping at 4, cooking dinner, cleaning up and resting and then hike a few more miles til dark.  Then all I have to do is set up my tent or cowgirl camp spot and go to bed.

Today we stopped for camp early at 330 but we'd done 20 miles already.  While sitting here fixing dinner a guy walks up with no pack and says "hey I have a truck on the road and there's watermelon, drinks, and donuts. Come on down." I didn't have to be asked twice.  I jumped up and went down.  There were 6 people having a picnic with a friend who is hiking the trail.  Her name is Adriana and all of them work at an outdoor school near Big Bear.

I love this trail and the trail community.  Here are pictures of Fig, the lake, and the trail magic.

Heather and Monkey showed up in camp and Monkey ran over and gave me and Backup a flower. What a cool kid.


Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.4

1 comment:

  1. Nice picture of the lake!

    My family had a cabin in Big Bear when I was a child. I have lots of good memories from that area. It's beautiful there!

    It's looks. Like you are doing well Lisa. It sure is interesting following your blog. Be safe!

    Dave

    ReplyDelete